CATALOG DESCRIPTION: In this course we review the basics of Fourier optics. The focus would be on statistical optics and optical imaging, which are related to various research activities in our department.
COURSE COORDINATOR: Prof. Horace Yuen
REQUIRED TEXT: Statistical Optics by Joseph W. Goodman (Wiley, 2000)
(1) Review of Electromagnetic wave propagation, diffraction and Fourier optics. 2 weeks
(2) Probability and Random Process, general theory of Space-Time Coherence. 2 weeks
(3) Noise in Lasers and Detectors. 2 weeks
(4) Intensity Interferometry and Receiver Performance 2 weeks
(5) Imaging system fundamentals and Partial Coherence effect 2 weeks