PREREQUISITES: Linear Algebra, Calculus, Data Structures Working knowledge of Matlab or C/C++ or willingness + time to pick it up quickly No image processing, computer vision, computer graphics, visualization or cartography experience is assumed
REQUIRED TEXTS: No text books are required.
COURSE INSTRUCTOR: Xin Chen, PhD, Senior Research Scientist, Nokia, xin.5.chen(at)nokia.com
COURSE OUTLINE (SUBJECT TO CHANGE):
- Course logistics and introduction; overview of state-of-the-art digital mapping content and location-based services; Overview of mobile mapping technologies and research projects at NAVTEQ Research
- Street level imagery: camera and image formation; image enhancement; mosaics and panorama
- Basic geodesy; survey technologies; GPS and other emerging positioning technologies
- Image analysis for digital mapping: feature matching, object detection and machine learning techniques
- Mid-term exam; OpenCV/PCL tutorial; MapAPI tutorial
- Remote sensing revisited: emerging digital sensors, flight platforms, demanding applications; computer vision and image processing for remote sensing.
- 3D computer vision and other emerging 3D sensing technologies (LIDAR) for mapping and navigation.
- Case study 1: Privacy protection in geospatial data visualization using computer vision technologies.
- Case study 2: Data Mining Large Scale Geo-referenced User Data
- Case study 3: Augmented Reality and Location Based Mobile Applications