Latest EECS News
REQUIRED TEXT: R. W. Boyd, Nonlinear Optics , Academic Press, latest edition
G. P. Agrawal, Nonlinear Fiber Optics , Academic Press (1995)
Y. R. Shen, The Principals of Nonlinear Optics , Wiley-Interscience (1984)
COURSE DIRECTOR: Horace Yuen
COURSE GOALS: To give students a working knowledge of the fundamental concepts and modern applications of nonlinear optics.
PREREQUISITES BY COURSES: EECS 382 and EECS 404 (or equivalent), or permission of instructor.
PREREQUISITES BY TOPIC:
- Electric field, power, and intensity of EM fields in linear materials.
- Working knowledge of quantum mechanics; in particular, time-dependent perturbation theory.
DETAILED COURSE TOPICS:
- Wave equation with nonlinear polarization
- Microscopic origin of nonlinear susceptibility
- Properties of susceptibility tensor
- c (2) phenomena:
- electro-optic effect
- second-harmonic generation
- sum/difference frequency generation
- parametric amplification
- c (3) phenomena:
- self-phase modulation, nonlinear refractive index
- cross-phase modulation
- four-wave mixing
- nonlinear birefringence
- Nonlinear Scattering
- Stimulated Raman scattering
- Stimulated Brillouin scattering
COMPUTER USAGE: Graphical display of the solutions of the pertinent nonlinear equations.
BASIS for GRADE: Tentative breakdown is as follows: Midterm test 30%, term paper and presentation 30%, and final exam 40%. Homework is a factor in borderline decisions.