Latest EECS News
Mandel and Wolf, Optical Coherence and Quantum Optics, Cambridge Univ. Press
Haus, Electromagnetic Noise and Quantum Optical Measurements , Springer, 2000
COURSE DIRECTOR: Prof. Horace Yuen
COURSE GOALS: Cover the basics of quantum optics with selected recent topics.
PREREQUISITES BY COURSES: EECS 404 and EECS 406 (or equivalent), or permission of instructor.
PREREQUISITES BY TOPICS
- Quantum electronics
DETAILED COURSE TOPICS:
- Week 1-2 Abstract quantum formalism, quantization of electromagnetic fields, coherent states.
- Week 3-4 Squeezed states, balanced homodyne detection, effect of loss.
- Week 5-6 Multimode analysis, coherence in quantum and classical sense.
- Week 7-8 Different kinds of amplifiers, nonlinear optical realizations of nonclassical devices.
- Week 9-10 Selected topics in quantum cryptography and quantum computation.
COMPUTER USAGE: None.
LABORATORY PROJECTS: None.
- Homeworks – 50%
- Project – 50%
COURSE OBJECTIVES: When a student completes this course, s/he should be able to:
- Understand the basic nonclassical effects in quantum electronics.
- Perform simple calculations on such effects in typical systems.