Latest EECS News
- Instructor: Prof. Fabian Bustamante
- Monday (10/21/2013): [slides] computer networks, the Internet.
- Wednesday (10/23/2013): [slides] computer systems, cloud computing, fault tolerance
- What do you think is the relationship between energy consumption and carbon footprint for cloud datacenters?
- What is the tension between privacy and functionality in cloud services?
- What are the three properties of large distributed systems referred to in the Brewer’s CAP theorem and how are they linked?
- What could be the intuition or high-level idea behind causal consistency?
- Should cloud computing be regulated by the US Federal Trade Commission?
- What is the idea of CloudLab and why do we need one?
- How does the Amazon power-outage event illustrate Brewer’s CAP theorem?
- Should users of service such as attachments.me be informed of the company policy on reliability?
- What is the link between residential network connections and cloud computing?
- What is the advantage of a microcredit franchise over most donation-based projects for ICT in developing regions?
- What are some examples of sneaker-nets brought up by E. Brewer et al.?
- What is ICT and how is it having an impact in developing regions?
- What are some challenges for ICT that are unique to developing regions?
- What is the idea behind open-architecture networking?
- What pushed the reorganization of TCP into TCP/IP?
- What parallels are drawn between the Internet and medieval cathedrals and how is this used to argue for clean-slate research?
- What parallels are drawn between networking and evolutionary biology and how is this used to argue for evolutionary network research?
Reading and Media
Articles can be obtained individually from their sources below.
- Vigfusson and Chockler, Clouds at the Crossroads, XRDS, Spring 2010.
- Gerry Smith, amazon power outage exposes risks of cloud computing, Huffington Post, July 2012.
- (SKIM) Brewer et al., the case for technology in developing regions, Computer, June 2005.
- (OPTIONAL) Abdelzaher et al., mobiscopes for human spaces, Pervasive Computing, Spring 2007.
- (SKIM) Leiner et al., the past and future history of the internet, CACM, February 1997.
- Rexford and Dovrolis, Point/Counterpoint: Future Internet Architecture: Clean-Slate versus Evolutionary Research, CACM, September 2012.
XKCD: The Cloud