Latest EECS News
- Instructor: Prof. Robby Findler
- Monday (11/25/2013): [slides] programming languages: racket
- Wednesday (11/27/2013): [slides] programming languages: create watman
- What are other domains where applications can be made more customizable through special purpose embedded programming languages?
- What makes a language design heavyweight or lightweight?
- What is the "mythical man month"?
- What happens when you add more people to a late software project? Why?
- What recourses are there when a project is late?
- When building a program, what portion of the time should you allocate to actual programming?
- How can the "computational thinking" (recall Jeanette Wing from Week 1 reading) approach be applied to the problem of building software with a big team of programmers?
Reading and Media
Articles can be obtained individually from their sources below.Monday:
- Charles Severance, Java Script: Designing a Language in 10 Days, Computer, February 2012.
- Frederick Brooks, The Mythical Man-month, Chapter 2, pp 11-26, 1977.
- Yaron Minsky, Why the next language you learn should be functional ACMqueue, 2011.
XKCD: Real Programmers